AWARE is our bespoke approach to mental health and wellbeing. Mental health is crucial for children to be able to thrive socially and to achieve their full academic potential. Our school mission statement is ‘Live life to the Full’ (adapted from John 12) and we believe that without mental wellbeing, children, staff, parents and our Pinhoe community would struggle to live life in all its fullness.
We promote a clear, tangible, holistic approach to wellbeing that everyone can access. We will all experience setbacks at certain points in our lives but a ‘wellbeing toolkit’ helps us to develop resilience and cope with ups and downs.
Central to our approach to mental health are the 10 Ways to Wellbeing.
The 10 Ways to Wellbeing are simple, everyday ways that we can maintain our mental health. By modelling these strategies to our children and encouraging them to notice when they use the strategies themselves, we embed practical ways to look after our wellbeing. During Mental Health week (4-10 February 2019), there will be another chance for parents to come along to our Ways to Wellbeing workshop.
Our AWARE approach encompasses many more whole school initiatives, including:
· A parents’ lending library of books covering social and emotional topics
· Courses like Timid to Tiger and Resilient Kids, for those who would like to explore ways to deal with anxiety
· Couch to 5K, our parents’ running club (as it is widely recognised that physical activity promotes positive mental health)
· Learning Coaches, a group of trained Year 6 children who work with Year 3 coachees to help raise their awareness of our Ways to Wellbeing and their link with learning behaviours
· Outdoor learning facilities through our Pinhoe Rangers group and our Forest School
· The Spiritual Garden, a peaceful place for reflection and contemplation